In my last 2 posts I talked about how I am exploring ChatGPT as a business tool. I want to give you a real world example of how I’ve been using it lately. That is, I’ve been using it to get more website visitors for my clients websites, by assisting me in writing meta descriptions.
What the heck is a meta description?
You know when you search for something in Google , there is a little snippet that comes up after the website link, that is a meta description. It looks like this:
A meta description is a short snippet of text that appears below the title of a web page in search engine results.
How can it get more visitors to your website?
While meta descriptions do not directly impact search engine rankings, they are still an important part of ranking on Google because they can influence a user’s decision to click through to your website. The more compelling the meta description the more visitors to your site. It is really easy to tell when a site is using a default description compared to one that you craft.
The ultimate meta description formula.
I have come up with a simple formula to use when writing a meta description, that anyone can use no matter what type of business you are.
Describe your service or product + the benefits of your service to product to your target audience + a call to action = the ultimate meta description.
There are a few little extra things to remember when crafting your meta description.
- The ideal length for a meta description is between 120-150 characters, this includes spaces. Google will cut off your description at 150 characters and use “…” for the rest. Most document editors have a word count tool, that is super helpful when editing down your description.
- This is not the place for industry jargon. You want to use language your target audience would use when searching. This is not the place for industry jargon. This can help Google understand what your page is about and show it to users searching for those keywords.
- Write a description to create a message that is both informative and enticing. Try to highlight the unique value proposition of your product or service and target audience of your content or the benefits of reading your page.
The trick to writing a meta description fast.
The hardest part of any task is starting it. Here is where ChatGPT can help you. If you have never used an AI chat bot before, no worries. I am here to hold your hand.
- First go to https://chat.openai.com/auth/login and sign up for an account. Follow the prompts to sign up and verify your email.
- If you can’t login at first because ChatGPT is at its user limit try again. I find that I can usually sign in in the mornings and weekends.
- Once you get to the new chat screen enter the following prompt, make sure you enter your information in the brackets :
- Write 3 meta descriptions for a [type of business] that [benefit of service or product] for [type of audience] and include a call to action.
- Take the 3 prompts ChatGPT gives you and paste them in a document.
- Combine and work them around so you have something that sounds like your voice.
- Make sure you refer to the 3 extra things in the above section to optimize your meta description for Google.
- You can see where to enter your meta description based on what website builder you are using by referencing my guide.
Hey you just boosted your SEO strategy and it only took 5 minutes! Not to shabby huh? Make sure you are signed up for my mailing list so you can get more helpful tricks and get notified when my next post comes out!
Have questions? Shoot me a quick email, I am always here to help!